2019 OKRs
Even though I am a bit late posting my OKRs for 2019 here, I have already finalized it for a while and been actively working towards achieving those as well. I will also be using the same post to track the progress throughout the year.
I am in a loop of setting very ambitious goals across a lot of different (sometimes vastly different) areas and continuously failing to achieve them all. But overall, the goals keep me motivated to try out new things. I always like the idea of having more things to do than the time permits. This list is no different and it's very ambitious to begin with. I will be keeping track of my goals and thus will also be keeping a track of my mindset and hopefully I can figure out what's the missing ingredient in my success recipe. Any feedback, suggestions, ideas are always welcome :)
I am in a loop of setting very ambitious goals across a lot of different (sometimes vastly different) areas and continuously failing to achieve them all. But overall, the goals keep me motivated to try out new things. I always like the idea of having more things to do than the time permits. This list is no different and it's very ambitious to begin with. I will be keeping track of my goals and thus will also be keeping a track of my mindset and hopefully I can figure out what's the missing ingredient in my success recipe. Any feedback, suggestions, ideas are always welcome :)
- Fitness:
- Exercises
Reduce body weight and body fat by 7%.
I started taking fitness and exercise a bit more seriously and I like to continue that indefinitely. Last year, I reduced 7% body fat (and 5% weight) and this year goal is somewhat similar. This is considerably harder as losing the first few pounds was easier, but a rigorous routine and check on my food would help me achieve this.
Progress so far: I have started going to the 6:15 am (I know!!) classes. I am still at around 70% of my original fitness (well, India trip and food) but I hope to reach to my 100% by mid February. One thing I noticed: As I go to gym with an empty stomach, I am losing energy at a much fast pace. Will need to figure out what to eat before gym. - Tennis
Reach 4.0 NTRP by year end (4.5 in 2 years, peak out at 5)
Last year, I started playing tennis more regularly and I think this is one sport I want to pursue a little more seriously. The plan is to take classes and develop the overall skills.
Progress so far: Sign-up for classes, starting Feb 9. Also, playing on weekends. It's raining here continuously (no complains, I love rain) so more regular tennis have to wait.
- Learning:
- Reading
Read at least 1 book a month (500+ pages total)
Progress so far:
January: Leonardo Da Vinci By Walter Issacson
February: Still deciding from a bunch of options! - Guitar
All major chords transition, 5+ songs and venture into strumming
I have been attracted to music for a long time but never end up pursuing it seriously. I learned piano in 7th class but then other things took priority. Later I picked guitar but repetition is a bit hard for me which is a basic necessity for learning an instrument. This is an ambitious and hard goal, but I will try my best to achieve this!
Progress so far:
Not much so far, but I am setting up my schedule to have more free time and play guitar more regularly. All the resources are in place: guitar, youtube videos, tuner app, picks etc. - Meditation
30 mins each day. Make it a habit and ultimately the entire process should be natural and thus effortless.
I think meditation is an essential part of moving forward. And with my increasing workload and ambitious goals, I need to put aside some time to sit back, relax and take care of my mind. With my little bit experiments with meditation, it helped me to look at things with a broader perspective, helped me to calm down and increased my overall efficiency.
Progress so far:
Still in the routine setup phase. Again all the resources are in place, there is a everyday calendar reminder and took subscription of Headspace.
- Travelling:
- Vacations
Cover 3+ states in US and 1+ international location
Last year, I travelled an amazing 64000+ miles and I don't intend to stop this year! I will be travelling to different states in US. Will also try to visit an international location. Will keep you posted about my plans. Stay tuned! - Rafting
2 dedicated rafting trips
In 2018, I tried rafting for the first time and it was AMAZING! We did a bunch of Class 4 rapids. I can't wait to go back to the rivers and try it again. Have to wait for the summer season to enjoy it to the fullest and I am eagerly looking forward to it.
- Stretch goals
- Pet ProjectsBring 2+ ideas to prototype stage.
I think one of the side effects of working at Google for the last 4 years is the fact that I am getting used to a laid-back life and not pushing myself to my limits, in tech field. I have done some awesome projects here, but I feel that I can do better. The pet projects will help me to challenge myself, taking me outside my comfort zone.
Progress so far:
The ideas have been there, but the lack of motivation is the missing key ingredient. - Motorcycle
Get a license and a motorcycle.
I want to get a motorcycle. Driving at 65+ mph (104 kmph) on 4-wheeler dominated highways presents it's own set of risks, but it's so much fun to drive one. It's a multi-step process from getting a license to deciding which bike to get. Let's see how this one goes.
Comments
Post a Comment